Monday, March 11, 2019

The best ever ride I had forgotten about

I was looking over my ride history the other day and came across this workout from March 2017

https://www.strava.com/activities/913859535/analysis/620/6968

When I saw the stats my jaw hit the floor. It was my all time best hour plus power. I took 15 minutes to ramp up to Z2 then slowly but surely increased power to threshold.

I ended up averaging 288W for near 2 hours, accumulating 186TSS and an IF of 0.9

Quite amazing stats. Funnily enough I had completely forgotten I did this.

Perhaps a clue is in my comments, I did the ride the day after a beer festival nursing a hangover and feeling guilty about one to many burgers. 

It does cross my mind that there may be a causal factor here. Not the beer but the surfeit of carbs.

I feel have noted a link between RPE and my glycogen levels when doing longish rides. This feels as if it goes beyond just the fueling needs. It seems as if in some way my brain knows the level of reserves that it has and sets RPE accordingly so as to spare glycogen if levels are low and let it burn if levels are high. 

Something to investigate further. 

No comments: