Sunday, March 10, 2019

Strength training - lovely if late

One new key objective this year is to do regular strength training.

I've eschewed this in the past through fear of "bulking up".

It turns out this fear was sadly misguided. Over the past few weeks I've been lifting more and higher weights. Far from causing unwanted growth I feel as if this has actually helped me shed pounds.

The biggest surprise in this respect has been the bench press. This should be entirely wrong for a cyclist, not only resulting in bigger muscles where they are not needed but also making your shoulders wider and thus less aerodynamic.

None of this has happened.  I can really feel the difference and I actually feel stronger on the bike including feeling more comfortable when down on the drops in an aero position.
 

No comments: