Thursday, March 14, 2019

4x16 II getting better

Second 4x16 yesterday and a noticeable improvement on the first.

I didn't feel too great in the morning. Brexit chaos the night before resulted in 1 too many DIPAs, the key cause, no doubt, of a poor HRV.

Still I decided not to wimp out and decided to take things carefully, starting less aggressively than last time,

Very pleased with result 286W>291W.>297W>296W. Last interval was actually the best as I pushed it a bit longer.

One aspect of the workout that went well was my mental focus. I broke each interval into 4 minute chunks and watched SF Angels over/under section. Increased power a bit on the overs and reduced a bit on the unders. 

Time whizzed by, especially after the first few minutes when my HR was up to speed.

On the subject of HR, remarkably low: peaks for the 4 were 150>151>155>158. This resulted in an EF for the work portion of 2.02, the highest for the season yet and maybe close to an ATB.

On my next L3 training session I'll investigate this further. Low HR for power can be good or bad news. It's one of the main training goals but also, for me at least, the most reliable indicator of plateauing, 

Still pretty happy and already looking forward to next weeks session <<<< which is probably the biggest win of all :)

No comments: