Monday, March 04, 2019

February 2019 review

February has come to an end. It was a crazy month, the hottest ever feeling more like a bad day in summer than mid-winter.  I've kept to my ambition of reading a poem a day and they were all nice but not very appropriate for the conditions with their emphasis on snow and ice.

Training wise it's been a good month
> Power: My target was to hold 300W for a full 60 minutes. I came up slightly short, besting 295 but I'm fine with that. The climb I chose was challenging with an easy section midway and lots of shifts in gradient that made it hard to sustain constant power.  I did manage to hit 300W mFTP which is a good second best.

> I'm losing weight and fat slowly but steadily. The thing I am happiest about is the process. I've gone back to keeping a food diary and it's made a big difference. I feel I'm in control of my eating and it gives me lots of numbers which the geek in me finds a stimulus to keep to the plan.

> Strength training: I've put in regular sessions and am setting PBs. I can also feel the payback in terms of how I feel. Biggest surprise has been the bench press.  KS related a story about an ancient NFL coach who used to say he loved this exercise because it "joined the arms to the body". This made no sense until I started doing them at high load. Now I know what he meant.

> Mental: I've gone back to the Sufferfest plan and now feel I have something tangible to work with.

> Golf: Off topic but progress here too. My swing is the best ever, just need to work on my address, specifically getting the club further forward so hands under chin,

 

1 comment:

Janesig said...

I wouldn’t breathe yet. Going on past years experience, we may yet get snowed in or at!