Friday, January 18, 2008

MAP comparison - November to Han

I took a bit more of a detailed look at the 2 MAP tests I have done so far. The chart above shows the power and HR curves for the two tests (power curve is a rolling average of past 20 seconds power to keep curve smooth)
The power curves are pretty much identical up to around 270W, then they start to diverge with the November test being about 10W higher. The reason for this is I adjusted the power readout to average over 30secs for training and forgot to reduce.
More interestingly the HR curves are separate right through the test, with the January curve being consistently less than the November curve, consistent with my being able to keep going for longer. Conditions were pretty much the same in terms of temperature, so I put at least part of this down to my training.
That said very aware I need some more data before I can make any firm conclusions. Will continue to focus work on the zone 240W-280W over the next 4 weeks and retest again after then. Will be interesting to see if HR in this zone maintains its gap (or hopefully widens).
One variable I know I will change for the next test is not to display HR. I know my "max" is around 185 and think this may be a limiter as when I see the HR getting above 180 I think I must be near the end. (One other benefit I get from having a power meter. Getting power up is a motivator for me but seeing HR touch unknown zones makes me worried.)

No comments: