Monday, January 14, 2008

Base vs Club ride

My two rides over the weekend showed what I think is the difference between a focussed base ride and a club ride. My base ride is below (smoothed to 5:00). The lines on the power graph show the start of my Endurance (157) Tempo (213) and Threshold(255) zones. Apart from the false start (my mudguards were playing up) and end warm down almost the whole ride is above the lowest endurance zone. (Even more would have been had I not needed a few map stops and avoided falling over in a ford..)

By contrast my Sunday club run shows a quite different picture. Here most of the effort is in the active recovery zone, with just a few spikes for climbs and the likes. While I felt tired at the end of the ride this was more of a rollover from the previous day than due to the ride itself and on Monday morning felt less tired than Sunday morning.

No comments: