Sunday, January 06, 2008

Beware black ice

Bit of a downer on Sunday in more ways than one. Volunteered to share the load and lead some club runs. First was last Sunday and I did a recce ride of the route just before Xmas. (as here:
Ride

Snow was forecast for the week, but never materialised, so went to bed Saturday hoping it would not be wet. Woke up Sunday to lovely blue sky, so rode off with a happy heart to the club run start point, resplendent in purple stegasaurus helmet cover (Xmas pres, see SPAM photos).

Very good turnout, something like 15 or so. However a number of stories re icy roads with some saying they had already had a spill. I did not pay this too much heed until we started out. We had gone no more than 400m or so and a call came up someone had crashed. I was at the front so stopped, then turned to go back and see what had happened.

Or to be more accurate tried to turn, my front wheel went at a 90 degree angle to where it was meant to and I hit the road. This turned out to have a sheet of sheer ice right along it.

I was very surprised as I had cycled along said road earlier and noticed nothing. Think this is a case of ignorance being bliss as not expecting ice I had not noticed it.

Anyway unfortunately we had to change route plans and go via main roads. Nonetheless passed 2 accidents during the ride, in both of which cars had gone off the road. Strangely both were 4x4s.

So bit disappointed plans went awry. Still the route is in the bag ready for another try later, when hopefully weathe will be a bit kinder...

No comments: