Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy St Valentines day hangover


Following day after day of sun, the weather on my day off on St Valentines day was cold and grey. Still happy I took the day off as had a bit too much wine the night before so had a slightly heavy head. This tested my resolve a bit but I decided to go out for a ride nonetheless.
Turned out to be a good decision as nothing like a bit of fresh air to clear a cotton head. Did 80km loop round Marlborough and back including one long climb plus another short sharp trip up Spring Hill. Aimed simply to keep watts at 200+ but not to go into red in terms of HR.
Ride turned out great. Averaged 221W/251NPW for the whole ride including warmdown. Work portion was 238W/259NPW and my HR average was a sedate 152 with a max of 168. Could definitely have gone harder if I had wanted. Average speed was over 28kph which is not bad given I was dressed up the nines on my tractor tyres, slime tubed Giant. Also pretty good in this regard is me hitting 79kph on a descent.
Another good thing was I felt I was pedalling smoother, down I think to the rollers. So all in all good job I went out...

No comments: