Friday, February 08, 2008

Brand new toy

Taking heed of my recent comments re knowing when enough is enough I have nonetheless gone ahead and bought a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=8703

I have been trying out one of these for the past couple of weeks, courtesy of a fellow cycling club member, and have already been sold on the benefits compared to the old fashioned alternative (i.e. a map). This year I have taken on planning some club rides and despite much forward planning each time I have gone out on a ride I have missed turnings and/or had to make frequent stops to reach back into my pocket and consult my map to see if I am still on track. With the Vista I still have the fun of marking out the route on a map in advance, but I can then store and follow it on my handlebars. It makes for a far more rewarding ride and my "enough" conscience is quite clear.

Another great thing is that I can take it on tours in the UK and abroad. Here not only help plan routes but also keep a record of where I have been. A regret from my TDF 2006 is that at the end of the ride I could not remember exactly where I had been...yes I knew in general terms (and I have a Michelin map where I traced the route I think I took) but it would have been nice to have a complete record. With the Garmin thats no problem, it remembers where you have been and when you come home you can relive your ride in a fly through on PC. This is in 3D so you can even go up the mountains again..This may sound a bit weedy but strangely flying through a route done brings back memories.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm also a firm believer in GPS technology. I can't see what fun it is wandering around trying to make sense of where you are and if you took the correct turn. I'd like to get one and map out different routes in the area. It also will help others once you've mapped the route so they can follow afterwards. I've been on many a trip where we spent far too much time trying to figure out where we are. On the road you can still more or less follow signs but out on the trails it makes it more difficult.