Thursday, October 24, 2013

3 on, 3 off and a rest day

So far I have been concentrating on losing weight and it's gone pretty well. I've managed a couple of milestones, my low of 67.3kg is an all time best and I've consistently been under 70kg/11 stone which had been a bit of a bit of a blocker in the past.

Now I've scheduled a change, mainly for a bit of variety. I'll continue with the  endurance sessions that have helped shed the pounds but will mix them up with some higher intensity workouts as well 

Each week I would hope to do:
  • 3 x Endurance Sessions: These will be main calorie burners. Currently they are just over 3 hours at around 200W.  I'll eat normally beforehand but during them only take on water, then eat normally afterwards. I have no problem completing these at the moment. I'll extend them to 4 hours at the same power then slowly increase watts. My hope is to get to around 240W which is pretty close to power needed for a 4 hour 100. At some point I'm guessing I will need to eat during these sessions which should give me some indication of how my glycogen levels are. 
  • 1 x Tempo Session: This is a slow ramp up to tempo level then hold for a longish interval, take a 5 minute break then a second interval. I'll use HR to pace this one, starting with 20 minute intervals and adjusting power until my HR hits 151 which is the bottom of my tempo zone. Once I have established the power I'll extend the interval times, hoping eventually to hit 2x60 minutes.
  • 1 x Threshold Session: I'll use Chris Boardman's routine for this. It comprises a set of 15>12>10>8 intervals at threshold with 5 minutes rest between each. It's "easier" than the classic 2x20 but mainly on the mind, you still get a good chunk of time at threshold and if it's good enough for Boardman it's good enough for me. I'll start these at an easy wattage then nudge up each week until I can't complete. While doing these I'll include some of Bradley Wiggins' pedal routines. This involves doing repeats of 1 minute 50 rpm, 4 minutes "normal" rpm. 
  • 1 x Short Interval Session: Another Chris Boardman routine, 3 x 3 minutes threshold++ then 3x2 minutes threshold++ with 7-10 minutes between each interval. Again I'll start low in terms of power and nudge the wattage up a little each week.
  • 1 x Recovery Session: In the past I haven't felt the need for much in terms of recovery so I'll just have the one session a week to start. The 3 sessions above will help me judge how I am doing and if I feel rough I'll schedule in some more recovery time. I don't plan to take the recovery day fully off, I have an idea for a "CO2 threshold" test that involves doing an easy routine so I'll do that.


No comments: