Thursday, August 08, 2013

5@55

One thing that has been missing since I started training again is a goal of some sort.

Given what I have done in the past I'm not really that up to setting some sort of specific event related goal. That isn't to say that I won't do similar in future but reality is repeating something isn't really the same as doing it for the first time. And I'm not really that fussed about improving a few places in an event and for sure don't want that to be the be all and end all of a season.

So I have decided to try something a bit different. One thing that does keep me motivated is trying to set "power PBs". The gold standard of power is w/kg, this is the single best predictor of how someone will ride. For example, measured for FTP, 6 w/kg is a good tour rider, 6.5 w/kg is a tour winner. See here for more examples Power Profiles

I don't aspire to these heights but would like to set some sort of w/kg goal. This will require training well and shedding a bit more weight. It will also mean taking part in some events, both for training purposes and with the hope that it will help push me harder and improving PBs. 

As to the target. Well I will be 55 next year and it just so happens that 5w/kg is a pretty stretching FTP target.  

So my goal will be "5@55"> do a FTP effort at 5 w/kg some time during my 55th year.

This is around the top level for an amateur so will be a big ask. Still I will have plenty of time to try to achieve it and regardless it will keep me motivated and focussed.

Should be fun..

 

No comments: