Friday, August 09, 2013

5@55 First test

I carried out the first test as the first session after a week off the bike helping out at LEL and exploring Silloth.

As a methodology I used the routine described by Hunter Allen here . Plan is to repeat this and track progress. (Weight will simply be measured before the test)

The test gives a 20 minute figure which is reduced by 5% to give an FTP estimate. As time progresses I'll supplement this with some "real" 60 minute efforts to check and also carry out tests under different conditions on different equipment, as one thing of interest is to see how these affect power. Of particular interest is TT vs road bike, since my TT power is consistently lower by a substantial figure and I'd like to close/eliminate this gap.

Results of the test were:
Bike used: Wattbike
Position:    Upright
Weight> >>>>>>73.5kg
20 min power>> 320W
FTP power >>> 304W
w/kg >>>>>>>> 4.14  

So a way to go yet.  

(One thing of interest was that my HR was up compared to before I had a break. It peaked at 174 during the 5 minute warm up. Goes to show that depressed HR is an indicator of being tired even if you can still put out the power)


No comments: