Saturday, September 21, 2013

Worms don't listen to bassoons

Mrs M and I went to see Robin Ince. It was great fun, with many highlights, one of my favourites (and Mrs Ms to judge by the chortles coming from next to me) concerned Charles Darwin's last book 

This showed that even at his latest stages of life Darwin was still the consummate scientist. His investigations into one of nature's more mundane species Included testing to see if they could hear sounds.

He did this by submitting them to various sounds, including a whistle, a piano and, remarkably, a bassoon (completely sensible of course, it's quite possible that worms would react to low notes from a bassoon while being insensible to others)

While no means in the same league as Charles Darwin, I do share a lifetime's passion for science with him. That's what I find most absorbing and motivating about the training I do. I love all the facts/figures and experimenting with what works and what doesn't.  

No comments: