Thursday, November 06, 2008

Chameleon Commuter

http://www.airnimal.eu/Chameleon/Ultra.php

Its been a while since I started commuting with my Airnimal Chameleon.

Beforehand it was an experience that I was not at all looking forward to but I have to admit that it's not turned out to bad. Like most commuters I have got into my little routines.

Up at 6.45 & downstairs to put on coffee, Planet Rock & feed the dog
6.45-7.02 Eat cereal, drink coffee, boot up PC and update Fitday/WKO
News at 7.00 trigger to go upstairs and get showered/changed
7.30 leave and get bike out of garage
7.40 Arrive Newbury station
7.45 Catch train for Reading (touch wood only be late a couple of times so far
8.00 Stop for a few minutes outside Reading (always seems to do this)
8.07 Arrive Reading platform 5
8:12 Catch Ealing Broadway train
8:33 Arrive Burnham
8:48 Arrive work

16:50 Leave work
17:21 Catch Reading train
17:45 Arrive Reading platform 10 and go to platform 4
17:55 Buy something from ATM
18:02 Catch Paignton train
18:15 Arrive Newbury
18:30 Arrive home

During this time the Chameleon has served me fine. Its relatively quick and easy to fold up (though took a while to get exactly right) though not as quick as a "proper" folder like a Brompton. Once folded its quite easy to carry and once reassembled a joy to ride. Lugging it off and on train/across platforms has turned out to be a useful weight training session, while the short rides from home-station-work have been a bit of recovery.

So far the weather has been kind but on the few times it has rained my riding gear has kept me snug, warm and dry.

Getting on and off trains is proving no hassle and I am getting the commuter knowledge of knowing exactly where to stand on the platform to get into the right carriage for transfer.

Only thing I would fault the Chameleon on is the bag that the bike is meant to fit into when folded. It is exactly 1cm too small so while it takes under a minute to fold, it takes several minutes to squeeze into the bag. Fortunately this has turned out not to be an issue as the bag is not really needed. So instead I use it to lug my turbo around in.

No comments: