Thursday, November 06, 2008

Allen/Coggan FTP Test October

Road test


Roller Test

As a start of season exercise I did a FTP test according to routine in Coggan/Allens "Training and Racing with Power" guide that I got with my Ergomo. Did this for a couple of reasons: felt it would be useful to have some sort of measure to base 2009 on and wanted something I could do indoors as well as out (not especially fancying riding a hard hour, which was basis for my previous FTPs).

Drill is quite complicated:

20 mins at endurance: 3xminute @100rpm with 1 min rest between each: 5 mins endurance

Then "true test" begins

5 minutes all out (VO2max)

10 minutes endurance

20 mins time trial aiming for max sustained power.

I repeated the test on consecutive days, first on the road, second on rollers.

Road went well on 5 minute test, I averaged 346W and it felt OK.

TT was hard to pace and was a bit all over the shop. I started at Hungerford on A4 heading east, then turned up B4000. Finished just after Stockcross. For future tests I think I will go a bit further down A4 before starting, so as to get more time on B4000. Finished up with 304W result. This equates to FTP of 289W after applying reduction of 5%.

Rollers next day I changed routine slightly so that 3x1minute were at 400W level. These went well, but 5 minutes was a bit of a washout and I lost energy midway through, only hitting 331W.

Not surprisingly the 20 TT was much easier to pace than the road and this went well as I slowly ramped pace up through interval. Result was 305W, which surprised me as I expected it to be less than road.

Will be interesting to repeat exercise end of November and see how things are progressing.

No comments: