Thursday, September 18, 2008

Seasons end - Breaking the Hour

The 2008 season is pretty much at an end now. However I had some unfinished business. One season goal had been to break the hour for a 25TT and on my one and only official attempt I had done 1:00:56. My Powertap wasn't working that day but I tried again a couple of days later and recorded 1:01:36, setting a new FTP PB of 305W in the process.

Over the past few days September has probably already had more sun than July+August and that made me think of having another go at a 25. So yesterday I headed back to the HCC247 course and made a final attempt to break the hour.

Contrary to the previous 2 tries the wind was blowing from the east. This was good news in helping me to the turn but meant hard work coming back. I set off with a main plan to concentrate on keeping my speedo over 40kph as much as possible with watts around 300W.

All went remarkably well, the time flew by and almost before I knew it I was in Hungerford, then at the turn. I sneaked a look at my AVS and found I was over 42kph so ahead of schedule.

The last 10 miles back into the wind were hard work, with the speedo reading 30something more often than not. However I kept going well and once through Hungerford again the time sped by, so much so that I only realised at the last moment that the finish was in sight. I made a final dash to the line and checked the time. It read 59:55 and I was pretty damn happy.


WKO for the ride above. As well as breaking the hour I also set a new FTP PB 310W/314NW. 30 minute power was also a PB at 317W.
Looking at the splits I was happy with the way I paced the ride. Compared to the previous attempt the sectors were:
Start downhill - 9km
June - 322W/44.3kph (tailwind)
Sept - 328W/43.5kph (headwind)
To Turn - 15km
June - 303W/37.0kph(headwind)
Sept - 305W/42.okph(tailwind)
To Home - 16km
June - 293W/40.6kph(tailwind)
Sept -305W/37.4kph(headwind)
> so I worked harder in all three sectors and especially pleased I kept power constant over the second two. Cadence was up as well with an average of 81rpm compared to 76rpm in June.
Overall then a good way to wind up the 2008 season. Thoughts now moving to what 2009 will bring

No comments: