Tuesday, August 15, 2006

TDF Journal Saturday 27th May Montdidier >Beauvais - Taking it easy

Distance 49k
Time 2:55
Climb 261
Weather Grey and windy

This was a different day. After a week of struggling against the elements I had finally come to my first "rest" day. I had planned only short rides for these days, just enough to stop me stiffening up and hopefully let my body recover a bit.

So I had a lie in and a leisurely breakfast. When I headed out of the hotel the skies were grey and the wind was blowing. However it did not look as if rain was threatening. My destination for the night was Beauvais, start town for the TDF stage 5. This was only 50km or so to cover in the day, which was by a comfortable margin the shortest distance I had cycled. As the wind was still quite fresh I decided to head cross country to take advantage of the cover that the little lanes provided. This was a good plan and the ride was very enjoyable, if not very challenging compared to previous days.

Beauvais (French)

Beauvais (English)


I had booked a hotel in advance, the "Residence" in Beauvais. This was a bit of a strange place as it was located (appropriately given its name) in a very quiet residential neighbourhood about 10 minutes walk from the town centre. You needed to look twice at it to realise it was a hotel rather than another house and this illusion was continued when I was greeted at the door by a toddler, son of the owners.

While stowing my bike away in the garage I found my first equipment failure of the trip. One of my padlocks had seized up, it was hanging under my saddle and had caught the brunt of all the crud thrown up by the rear wheel as I pedalled through the rain. A fair amount of brute force let me get it off but it was broken beyond repair so I consigned it to the bin. I did not mind too much, in practice I had not yet come across any occasion when I thought my bike was in any danger of being stolen, so I was frankly glad to drop some unwanted weight.

I showered, changed and set of on my first bit of real tourism of my tour. Beauvais wasn't a bad town for this, being not too big, with a picturesque cathedral (pics below) and pleasant central square. I stopped by one of the cafes and was very happy to be able to sit outside as the grey clouds parted and I felt the first real strong sunshine since my first day.






I passed my time happily relaxing and reading my "History of the World". As the afternoon turned to evening however I was beginning to feel quite peckish and went in search of a restaurant. I was a little early but had the good luck to stumble upon a fantastic bar "Le Mine". This boasted of having a large range of bottled and draft beers. I ordered a half of Goudale (which sort of felt English "Good Ale") and was told that it was happy hour so I could have a full pint if I wished (yes pint. Despite being in France, originator and home of the metric system some traditions live on. So you can order a pint of beer (or a metre just to make things really confusing!)). I considered this offer long and hard, on the one hand free beer was available. On the other Good Ale is 7.2degrees so a pint could have a pretty heavy effect on an empty stomach. So reluctantly, and very possibly for the first time in my life, I turned down the offer of a free beer.


La Mine Website


This said I made up for it by having a pint of the brun by which time the restaurants were starting to open. I made for an Italian as I wanted to get some stodge inside me. It did not seem particularly special but I was lucky to get there early as within 20 minutes it was full. I had a pasta followed by pizza (the joys of cycling!) along with a carafe of red.

Rather fuller and a bit tipsy I headed back to the hotel.

PS Photo of the day the tour left town (more on the website)

No comments: