Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Highclere 115 last time I mention it

Few final notes on the Highclere 115. Couple of other guys I know also did the ride, both in fact had it a lot harder than I as they ended up doing almost all of it solo. Ian, to whom many thanks for putting me onto the event in the first place, had the worst luck of all as had to battle with punctures and downpours, his musings on the ride can be found via his "Pedalling My Thoughts" blog (see sidebar link). Olly from the bike shop I met last night and he made it round in just under 9 hours.

Results of the ride are now up.

Highclere 115 Results

I ended up 14th out of 284 which leaves me gobsmacked. Reflecting on this it probably makes it the second or third most distinquished sporting performance of my life. (Undoubted first being scoring my only 2 goals in competitive football in the same match, both being crackers from outside the box, which earned our team its only point of the season. Second/third is getting ready for a swimming race and realising the guy in the next lane was Olympic bronze and multi other competition medal winning Brian Brinkley (He beat me)). Does leave me a slight problem of where do I go from here, which I will go some way to finding out when I do another sportive on 10th September and revisit the hell of the SPAM the week after.

No comments: