Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Racing Rouvy

I've tried a variety of indoor training products, including Zwift where I was part of the beta. It's not a surprise to me that these have become so popular. I like riding bikes but really, now, only under a blue sky and up mountains and I'm clearly not alone.

My first indoor software came with a Powertap trainer I bought over 5 years ago now. It's since morphed into Rouvy. This is one of the lesser known products but it's my firm favourite.

The reason for this is that it allows me to do what I like doing most...as above riding up big mountains under a blue sky.

Coupled with a smart trainer the experience is astonishingly real. 

Last year I tried Trainerroad and, while the plans/workouts are good, the presentation is not my cup of tea so I cancelled my sub and this year its back to Rouvy.

Luckily they have introduced a really nice upgrade, so called "Augmented Reality" or AR. Basically this just allows you to select a previous ride(s) (yours or others) and an avatar will repeat this on the course. (If anyone else happens to be riding the same course at the same time you also see them)

So I can race which is great motivation. 

What's especially good is that it means I can train to power targets without actually needing to constantly check my garmin. I can just select a rider at the target w/kg for the training zone and so long as I stay ahead of them it's job done.

Intervals are similarly easy. Just do one ride using a power to set zone/duration and then reride, just tracking the avatar.

 

No comments: