Tuesday, August 19, 2008

12 hours of wind rain and some pain...

Well its over. Did my first 12 hour time trial on Sunday and, not surprisingly I guess, it was probably the hardest days cycling of my life.

Limitations on dates meant the event I took part in also happened to be the National Championship. So it was quite a large affair with over 100 riders taking part. The course was around and about Cambridge/Newmarket and consisted of 4 sections
A - Up and down the A11 dual carriage way a couple of times (around 85 miles)
B+C 2 different loops of around 13 miles, each ridden a number of times (in my case 4 times round B and 5 times round C)
Finish: A final loop of near 14 miles that you ride until your time is up (I got round 2 and a bit times)

Having originally planned to rope in Mr M Junior I eventually decided it would be easier to do self supporting as it was not obvious where Mr M J could wait given the various loops. I stayed nearby at on the "Genome Campus", a strange mix of Regency manor house and cutting edge research institute.

12 hours of riding means an early start and I got up at 4.15. On going outside I found, to my gloom, that it was drizzling. Found the start and got numbers, also noticed warning specifically banning use of MP3s.

I loaded food and drink onto bike. Plan was to take all food with me, some on tri-bags on crossbar, reaminder hanging off rear. I started with 4 full bottles, planning to fill up at stops.

Start facilities were nice but only had one poo loo, not really enough given number of competitors. Time was pressing and so had to make use of womens facilities (fortunately was not spotted...)

Only just made it to start in time, still drizzling. Set of and went all of 250m before one of my bottles dropped off the back of my bike. Sorted quickly and set off again.

Ahead of time I thought the first A section would be the worst as it was up and down a long stretch of dual carriageway. However this turned out not to be the case and this was the bit I enjoyed most. The road surface was good and I made good time. This was despite the drizzle turning into occasional downpours. Unfortunately during one of these I managed to get lost and went up the wrong bit of road. Realised after a mile or so and had to conduct a tricky u-turn that including manhandling bike over crash barrier. Still one advantage of early start was that there was not much traffic...

At the end of the A section, despite being soaked, my sprits were high. After 4 hours I had covered over 140km so a healthy average over 35kph. We then moved on to the B course and that coincided with good and bad news on the weather front:
Good news - the rain stopped
Bad news - the wind picked up. It had already been blowing but now this developed into a strong wind.

The B loop was not really flat, more rolling and it had some sections that combined uphill with upwind that sapped the legs and damaged my morale. On the second loop I decided to stop. I rummaged through my food bag and found the rain had seeped in and turned some of my food to mush. Still I scoffed a chicken sarnie and restarted. Though not with much joy, I could see my average speeed falling and started to get a bit down. Not soon enough I was waved off the B loop and onto the C.

This transfer was the low spot of the ride. It was 15km, mostly down a dual carriage way, all the way into wind. It was very hard work and I hated it. Eventually we came to loop C where the sun was out and there were lots of spectators. I even heard someone cry "come on Martin" which confused me a bit. This loop was more enjoyable than B being a mix of slow into wind and fast wind behind. I was running very low on water by this time so made some stops to fill up. This plus taking it easy on the downwind stretch meant my average speed continued to fall and hopes of beating the club record started to dwindle.

They were pretty much gone by the time I was waved onto the finishing course but I soldiered on, aiming to at least hit 240miles. Eventually I was flagged down and told I could stop. Luckily this was right next to the control so I only had a short ride back.

Results took a while to come through but when mine came up I was happy to find I had managed 241.6 miles. Just 5.5 miles short of the club record, even less as the extra couple of miles I did as a detour obviously did not count.

During wait for results the mystery of the "come on Martin" yells of encouragement was cleared up. An ex Newburian was supporting one of the other riders. By coincidence he was the brother of the clubs junior record holder (the one that is longer than the senior one I was trying to break).

Result of the main competition was close, being won with 284.5 miles, just 0.65 miles from second place. Winner, Ian Cammish, is apparently 51, so doubly impressive and encouragement to keep training.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Ian_Cammish_Wins_National_12Hour_Championship_article_265729.html

No comments: