Tuesday, August 19, 2008

12 hours - the counting



After the ride the analysis:

Power/Speed:

WKO file for the 12 hour time trial is above (I forgot to take my HR strap so no HR).

Shows the story of the ride pretty well. I was planning to ride at around 210W or so. In first 4 hours I overdid it a bit, partly due to enjoying myself but mainly because I could not see display due to rain!

As weather brightened and I started the B loops the average speed started to drop though power still around the 210W mark average. Both speed and power took a hit between 6 and 7 hours into the ride during the 30 minute transfer upwind between the B and C loops. This was the low point of the ride and first C loop was pretty poor as well. Only averaged 173W/185NW for these sections, just 30.3kph. Remaining 4 C loops were 1.5kph faster but power still only averaged 178W/186NW. Finishing section was hard going, just 166W/180NW and a slow 30.5kph (though not helped by need to slow down 2xper lap to get water).

Food:
I started off with 4 bottles of PSP + 6000 cals of food (mix of suger sweets, breadsticks, cereal bars, sweet chestnuts and sandwiches). Rain messed food up and I forgot (doh!) I had some cereal bars in my jersey pocket under my gilet. I reckon I ate about 60% of the food so say 3600 cals or so. This probably was not quite enough and I certainly needed to drink more as the sun came out.
Doing unsupported:
It was a good decision not to follow original plan of Mr M Jnr coming along. Route meant it would have been difficult to work out where he could have stopped and it would not have been much help. However mobile (i.e. with car) support would have been a great help. The route was a bit hillier than I expected and I suffered a bit from all the stuff I had to carry. Also it would have helped to have dry food rather than wet mush. Biggest needs though were
-more sports drink (the stops only supplied water, if you kept moving you only got 1/4 bottle. If you stopped it took an age to fill up)
- moral support. My spirits dropped a bit during the B and C loops and I could have done with a familiar face. I could also have done with someone to do the sums for me in terms of pacing. Due to my detour and the fact that my powertap does not record time stopped I was not sure how far ahead/behind the pace I was.
The next time?
Any challenge that really pushes you is a funny old thing. At the time it cannot be over quick enough but soon after you feel like trying again. This is definitely the case for this event. With hindsight I regret not pushing a bit harder and at least got past the 247.1 mile club record.
So I will give the event another go next year, choosing a race more in advance to be sure of getting something that is both a fast course and makes support straight forward.
I will also use aerobars (and other TT gear) next time. I did not want to do this for my first attempt as I did not want to feel that, if I broke the record, it was just because of my equipment.
My ride on Sunday pretty much settled this score. Had I not taken a wrong turn and if the wind had been just a bit less strong I would have taken the record and so have no qualms that my next attempt should try to set the bar as high as possible.

No comments: