Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mind of a 49 year old in body of an 18 year old

Little sad but daily habit I have got into since deciding to lose weight has been to weigh myself first thing in the morning, last thing in the evening.

To help with this got myself one of these Tanita scales, which comes with various gizmos to keep a geek happy:
http://www.tanita.co.uk/index.php?id=22&tx_f03showxtcommerceproducts_pi1[showUid]=5&cHash=ae110dfbd7

One of its features is something called "metabolic" age. This tells you how old it thinks your body is (using stuff like weight, fat%, bone density, days in the week, taking away the last number you thought of etc.)

Yesterday evening my fat% was an all time low** at 12.4%. I pressed the "Metabolic Age" button and my scales told me I had the body of an 18 year old...so time to dust off my old LPs, get out my flares and tanks tops once again miss the punk revolution.

** Geek time: Having used the scales for over 3 years I have found the fat % to be quite consistent and make a degree of sense. However it is sensitive to time of day and whether you have eaten/exercised in past few hours. I get the lowest measures in the evening of a rest day after eating a calorie balanced day (so cals in = or a bit more than cals burnt). On days when exercising fat % is usually a percent or two higher and morning measure is similarly a percent or two higher than evening.

1 comment:

JV said...

I had a Tanita scale as well and discovered that the % fat could be +/- depending on your hydration level and amount of sitting prior to stepping on the scale which causes one's ankles to swell just slightly.

Nice blogs, dig the graphs. Makes me miss my powertap (RIP).
- John