Monday, June 09, 2008

Highclere 2008 Sportive

Highclere 2008 yesterday. Lovely sunny day (again, third year running for this event).

Had a great time. Objective was to ride over 30kph and make an effort on Hannington/White Hill just before finish.

Best part of ride was initial couple of hours, went hard up Woodhay, Coombe and Faccombe then formed a largish (15?) group and assisted in blast down the Test valley. Only about 5 of us took turns but it was enough to see an average of 34kph after 2 hours, not bad given the early climbs.

After 6okm or so the terrain started to get lumpy and group broke up. I ended up with a couple of others that I think had caught group from behind. Worked with them for a while but let them go just before control as already well ahead of target 30kph for ride. A few km past the control was joined by some other riders including some from Army (sportive was being used as a combined services event). We worked for quite a while then, coming to hill at 90km I led up a bit too fast for all but 3. They sprinted to top, but I did not join in as did not fancy busting a gut on second half of ride as at that point was still averaging over 33kph.

Next climb came at 100km and did this solo though shortly after joined by a couple of Pedalon riders who finished 2007 in the fastest time. I latched onto their wheel and was able to work with them for a while. However it was tough going and, while they were obviously pushing for a fast time, I was happy with days work. So I eased off and let them go.

This turned out bad for all of us. A few km on came a very quick descent and at the bottom I passed an ambulance tending to one of the Pedalon riders who had come to grief on a sharp corner covered in grit. I negotiated this OK but shortly after the ride started to head north and into a hot headwind and I really could have done with some company.

I eased up as not much fun riding alone into a wind and I knew I would hit my speed goal. I was sort of hoping I would be overtaken and eventually was though not, frustatingly until I had ridden for 60km solo and the final climbs were in sight. Still being in a group helped in raising tempo up Hannington and White Hills as planned.

Eased up again to enjoy the run home and glad I did when 10km sign came 5km late. Completed ride in 6:48 pretty much spot on my 30kph target.

When final results posted finished with 25th best time. Interestingly the first pair I had ridden with had best 2 times (6:20), second 3 had 3rd/4th times (6:35) and the Pedalon guys were quickest on the course up to point where they came to grief.



Some course info below (interestingly the total ascent was more than I thought it would be at 3000m spot on)



WKO file showed PBs in terms of speed/power for 6 hours. Also shows me taking it easier on second half of ride. Assuming it still happens I may target Highclere as an A event next year and, despite my reservations on sportives being treated as races, ride it to go as fast as possible and see where I end up.


No comments: