Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hungry

Did the Hampshire Hilly Hundred yesterday. With the ride to and from Kingsclere it came to a total of 120 miles so comfortably the hardest ride of the season to date and first time over 400TSS points.

Good news was that Giant and my touring gear coped very well with the ride, which included several very bumpy bits (nothing fell off, a good sign).

Bad news was I did not fare quite as well. I was aiming for a 205W+ average. Started well but found it hard to maintain the intensity after 4 hours. Was not helped by having to make several halts/backtracks to check route. Still even taking this into account I found the going got tougher.

Overall it took 8 hours:
2 hours at 207W/239NW
2 hours at 199W/229NW
2 hours at 180W/219NW
2 hours at 170W/208NW

So as time wore on I wore out. Began to feel hungry after 6 hours, so Nutrigrain/jelly babies/raisins are enough. Stopped at a delicatessen in Overton
http://www.hampshire-information.co.uk/details.asp?listid=306
for a bacon sandwich and this worked wonders. For the future will take some more filling food as well as jelly babies.

Still on the good side I made pretty good speed. The whole ride was done at an average of 25kph which isnt at all bad considering I was back on the Marathon+/Slime tubed Giant carrying a fair bit of gear, there was a fair breeze and the route (both elevation and road surface) was far from smooth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At last. I got through! :)