Monday, December 10, 2012

TDF 2006 Day 5 Huy - Nouvion - Storm before the Calm

Here's my worst and best day ever on a bike. Looking back I'm very impressed with myself.

I should remind myself of this day whenever I feel a bit down. It was quite epic and a reminder that for things to feel really good they also need to sometimes feel really bad.
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been putting of this post. Day 5 of my tour was the worst. On the other hand it was also the day that made me into a real cyclist..

  • Waking up to the most depressing sounds a cyclist can hear, the steady patter of rain on the window accompanied by the continuous swishes of cars driving through puddles. 
  • Taking shelter from the wind at start by following the Meuse down a valley.
  • Encounters with market and moterbike gang.
  • Crossing the Meuse and climbing up the side of the valley into a full on gale driving torrential rain into my face.
  • Very very hard work trying to make headway over the undulating countryside, easier going uphill, sheltered from the storm, than down..
  • Feeling very low and wondering if it had all been a mistake. Then seeing a sign, downhill and away from the wind "Mettet"
  • Finding the town and, more important, a warm bar.
  • Ordering double everything, beer and croque monsieur.
  • Stripping off and drying clothes 
  • Stay for a while until clothes dry, stomach filled and spirits "Leffted."
  • Joy on leaving the bar to see some traces of blue in the sky.
  • Unscheduled stop at Chimay to pay due homage to the monks. 
  • Crossing the border into France, smooth roads replacing pitted with amazing coincidence of that being the moment the sun finally broke through.
  • Overnight stop at Nouvion which, fittingly, was first to be advertising forthcoming arrival of tour.    

No comments: