Monday, December 03, 2012

TDF 2006 Stage 4 24th May Eupen > Huy Wind, Wind, Fing Wind - revisited

Watched the Fleche Wallone yesterday with Jean Alaphillipe storming up the Mur de Huy to win.

Reminded me of my tour, when I overnighted in Huy in happy ignorance that the next day would be the best and worst day of my life on a bike.

The notes below capture my mood pretty well


Not a very pleasant day...
  • Wind gathered force and I was riding straight into it.
  • First encounter with another cyclist, he passed me and I caught him up which helped morale and gave a break from the wind.
  • Over the border into Holland
  • Lunch in Valkenburg, getting ready to host a tour finish. Only food was cake so had cake and beer lunch.. not the best for nutrition but again helped morale.
  • Got lost post lunch but eventually found Maastricht and all its cobbles. 
  • Hard going to Huy. Had to pause on outskirts of town to shelter under a bridge as heavens opened.
  • Huy very grey and worryingly devoid of hotels but eventually found one.
  • Evening meal in an Irish pub

No comments: