Friday, February 20, 2009

Short and Sharp

Been exploring some new territory in terms of training this week. My power profile is above and it shows that while I am pretty strong in terms of 5 and 60 minute power I am a feeble weakling when it comes to short hard efforts of 5s-1minute.

So this week I was down to do 2 new workouts to challenge this area. Never done anything quite like this before so bit of learning along with a bit of pain.

First session was quite simple, 12 x 1 minute with 1 minute rest. Minutes "very hard". Not quite sure what "very hard" is, especially bearing in mind need to do it 12 times in a row so started quite conservatively, building up a little each time. As below shows managed this quite well, probably a bit too well as meant not to be sure if you can complete or not. Doing same again next week and will up target to around 400W.


Second session was similar but different. "15s" which means 4 minutes, 15secs very hard, 15 secs res. Then 3 minutes rest and repeat, then rest then repeat. Following 1mins I pushed a bit harder on this, aiming for above 450W. Quite happy I hit this, but tried little too hard first intervals of last set so faded a bit towards end. Still wasnt too bad, especially as has spent much of day in front garden felling a large and very evil tree.

Will be interesting to see if I improve on future workouts like this. Interesting to reflect on both that if I (and others) had worked anywhere near this hard in break would easily have got away. (1 minute session was equivalent to half of a Hillingdon race).

No comments: