Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Replacing Batteries In Ergomo Head Unit

My original Ergomo head unit died a few months ago due to its batteries becoming knackered.

I got a replacement but decided to have a go at replacing the batteries in the original.

It proved quite easy to do:

Required:
Replacement batteries: HR-4U needed, 1000ma with solder tab. I got them from here
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=SY153T-ND (Very helpful service with ability to chat with technical support before buying). I bought 10 batteries, total cost was $50 of which $30 was shipping to UK. Arrived promptly 5 days after ordering.

Torque Screwdriver 6 : Luckily I already had one of these.

Mediumstandard flat blade screwdriver: (around 1/4 inch tip)

Soldering iron: with smallish tip

Procedure:
  • Unscrew the black handlebar mount on the back of the unit.
  • Unscrew the 5 torque screws on the back of the unit. (I had to enlarge a couple of the deeper holes so as to be able to get to the screw, just used a penknife for this)
  • Open unit and unscrew 3 torque screws that hold pcb/display to case. 1 screw is smaller than others.
  • You will see the batteries, AAA size.
  • Unsolder connecting wire (opposite end from main wiring)
  • Tricky bit: Hardest part of the operation is getting the old batteries out, since they are firmly glued in place. After bit of trial and effort on first one here is procedure that worked for me:
  • Score down the length of the green plastic battery casing (I used my soldering iron to do this but guess should really use a knife...)
  • Put tip of flat blade screwdriver between end (the one unsoldered) and case, then use a bit of carefully applied brute force to lever out the battery, which should pop clear of the sleeve.
  • Now the battery is out its quite easy to unsolder the other end connection (before doing so make a note of terminal polarity.
  • Before doing anthing else I would now suggest checking that the batteries are the problem. Just use some standard batteries, link to unsoldered ends and check that the display comes on.
  • Assuming it does, clear out as much as possible of the green sleeves from the battery case.
  • Solder up the new batteries in the correct polarity.
  • Put the batteries back into position (I didnt bother with any glue, the fitting is very snug and I didn't want to cause problems when I need to replace again).
  • Reassemble. When screwing back first 3 screws check the pcb fits comfortably over the batteries. If it doesnt then may need to remove some more of the green sleeving.
  • Charge up and hopefully continue.
  • I found all settings had been retained so no need to re-enter, apart from date/time.

PS: If you're reading this far probably got an Ergomo. In this case worth knowing that there is a google group http://groups.google.com/group/ergomo-users?hl=en for Ergomo users

PPS One enterprising lady has put a Youtube movie up of how to do the procedure...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4IQOjaSbY4

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks MAN !!! I did what you described and worked perfectly !!!

Ash said...

Great post. I need to do this so will get ordering. Just curious as to why you bought those specific batteries. Surely any make of NIMH 1.2V 1000MAH W/TAB batteries would do the job?

I'll attempt to source some from the UK and save the shipping cost. I'll post a link here when I find them.

Ash said...

Here's a link to some 2500mah ones from Maplin that should do the job. I'll give them a try.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4486

Ash said...

and..

once I have my replacement head unit I think I'll have a go at a USB charger for the old one. It'll be so much more convenient.

Bahzob said...

No special reason for buying from US. Just didnt find the ones from Maplin on search.

DY said...

The AA replacement batteries have a capacity of 2500mah however the highest mah i've seen for AAA is at 1000mah. At any rate, i followed the directions as described and it was fantastic. It took about 20 minutes for the entire process. I also took some pictures of the process and will post the link soon.

Thanks, bahzob!

DY said...

Here's a link to some shots I had taken while following Bahzob's instructions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dave.yeung1/ErgomoBatteryChange?feat=email#

Ev said...

Great stuff. My ergomo's batteries only last about 4 hours of use on a full charge and I was hoping I could replace the batteries myself but wasn't sure what size/type they would be. I will definately be giving this a go :-). By the way how long do you guys reckon a new set of batteries will last in use after a full charge ? The ergomo specs I saw say 40 hours !!

Bahzob said...

My batteries last around 12 hours after full charge. However if use the 2500mah ones suggested then should get longer

Ev said...

Like DY I purchased some Sanyo non-tabbed 1000mah AAAs and just swapped them into my unit. The 2500mah AAs would definitely not fit. After scoring down them and removing the old batteries, I left all of the old green battery sleeves in the unit and slotted my new batteries snuggly into them. I will keep a note of how many hours my unit's batteries last and post here once I know :-)

Anonymous said...

thank you for the whole information, I save many time and money

Yvan P from France

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the tutorial and video you saved my Ergomo

Mike UK