Monday, January 26, 2009

Hillingdon race 4: Snowballed...


Hillingdon race 4 turned out to be a bit of a washout. Day before I woke up feeling fine and headed off to work.

There we had a bit of fun, celebrating Burns Night (a couple of days in advance).. Whisky wasn't an option and haggis wasn't expected to be very popular..

So the social committee laid on plentiful supplies of IrnBru and Tunnock's sweets..

http://www.tunnock.co.uk/index1.htm

These were a real blast from the past. As a child their caramel biscuits and marshmallow snowballs were a regular Sunday afternoon tea-time treat. I never knew they were part of the Scottish gastronomic heritage and can't remember having any for ages.

Unfortunately I am afraid I rather took advantage of the plentiful freebies and got through several caramel bars and even more snowballs, all washed down by lots of IrnBru.

I felt OK during the day but as evening drew on my tummy went into rebellion and I passed a very uncomfortable/queasy night. I woke up feeling pants and not in best form at all.

At Hillingdon I chatted to a few others about getting into a break and they seemed keen. But once race started plans went awry. I dawdled along at the back of the group for half the ride, then tried stirring myself into action.

But combination of feeling flat and big field meant gettting to front was tricky and by the time I got there all I managed to do was, ironically, pull back a break that was already in progress. Didnt have the energy to go for it myself so just held back and tried for a decent finish.


This worked pretty well, though I was in slightly too high a gear. But still managed a 7th place which gets me half way towards points target.

No comments: