Thursday, October 16, 2008

2008 zones - a retrospective



I carried out a retropspective analysis of my 2008 training hours, as part of planning for 2009.

The specific reason for doing this was that my plan 2009 is to start training earlier (November rather than December) and to focus on the "sweetspot" zone (85%-95% of FTP) earlier.

I used WKO to put together the graphs above, basically showing total hours trained over the past year, then hours by training zone (all excluding "recovery" time which actually accounts for 60% of total hours..).

It seems I followed my plan pretty well. The Endurance graph shows pretty constant load through the year. The other zones show progressive increase in load through the first part of the year then a steady state in the main event portion, followed by a decrease as I started to take things easier.
I will be looking for similar 2009 with exception that I will plan to make the tempo/sweetspot graphs be flatter and more similar to endurance.

No comments: