Friday, July 28, 2006

Bad noise from down under - bottom bracket expired

Went for, now becoming regular, training ride on Tuesday and found bike was making very depressing noises when being pedalled at anything more than very light load.

Consensus from those who know a whole lot more about these things than I was that I was having bottom bracket problems. This was interesting as, my ignorance of bike topography being what it is, until it started making a racket I did not even know I had a bottom bracket.

Anyway this provided the chance of getting my hands oily and so took spanner to bike. I discovered that I have a rather special bottom bracket (or BB as I now know to call it) as I have a FSA SLK crank. This is a rather nifty design that has an integrated, oversized BB called a MegaExo http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=21&pid=434

This needed a special tool (as ever) to detach from the bike so I paid a quick visit to AW Cycles at Reading about who I had heard good things http://www.awcycles.co.uk/

They had the tool I needed (Park Tools BBT-9 for anyone interested) and also it must be said a rather spiffing range of bikes, including a candidate for blingest bike - a limited edition Giant with 24 carat gold plating (not sure how weight saving this is!)
http://www.awcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b8s6p1289




This is available for only £4450...I resisted the chance to buy it but did succumb to the rather more modest temptation of a new pair of Look cleats and covers.

Back to the bike last night I used the new tool to remove brackets and sure enough they were rather grotty inside. I put this down to combination of bad weather in France and me, not knowing it was meant to be sealed, copiously oiling.

Fortunately FSA have a super now MegaExo which is "ceramic".

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=29&pid=759

Being a bit of a sucker for new fangled goodies I have ordered one of these and hope it arrives in time for me to fit and try out next Tuesday. Watch this space

No comments: