Sunday, July 30, 2006

47 and breaking 20

Blowing my own trumpet I know but today I achieved a lifetime best by averaging over 20mph for a serious ride for the first time. This was done on a circuit I know well from Newbury to Lambourn then Wantage and back to Newbury again. This takes in the downs so has a few climbs (some with bits over 10%), the hardest being the ones coming out of Wantage back to Newbury. All in all the route is 47 miles with 680m climbing.

Back in January I rode this and averaged 15.9mph. Pre riding the TDF I had got this average up to 16.8. I rode the route following my return from the TDF and surprised myself by averaging 20mph up to the bottom of the final Wantage hills and ended up with 19.3. Today I finally pushed past 20 (just) making it round and back to Newbury at 20.1mph. Main reasons for making this were I think pushing myself a bit harder and also using a 11-23 cassette which let me get bit more speed up on the downhill parts of the course.

So pretty chuffed with myself.

No comments: